Saturday, September 15, 2007

We're on the final leg of the trip










We flew to Guangzhou on Friday. Xian Hua was VERY excited to fly on a plane. As soon as he saw us pull out the suitcases he excitedly told me we were going to fly on an airplane and then proceeded to pack up his toys. And actually, when we landed in Guangzhou, I found out why he was so excited. Our guide told me that he had asked her why we weren't in the United States. I was happy to know though that he was so looking forward to going home.



The hotel we are staying in is located on an island; we haven't actually been to the main part of the city yet. The weather here is very tropical (that's a more fun way to say very hot and humid). And honestly, this doesn't feel like China at all to me. This area of Guangzhou has a very European look about it. It reminds me a lot of Savanna, Georgia. Many people here speak English and many of the businesses here cater to Western tourists and adoption. You can find a 7-11 convenient store and even a Starbucks (which we surprisingly haven't visited yet).



Xian Hua had his medical exam yesterday and we completed the paperwork for his Visa so he can come home. Yeah! I was concerned with how he would do in the exam, but it didn't seem to bother him a bit. It's just a cursory exam; checking the basics and, I guess, confiming or checking on things noted in their original exam done at the orphanage.


The hotel has 2 nice outdoor pools. We spent some time in the pool yesterday to try and cool off and let Xian Hua burn off some energy. Like most kids, he really loves the water. But, he seemed to be pretty good about knowing his limit and gladly used a little inner tube the entire time this time. The first time we went swimming at the hotel in Nanchang, it wasn't like that. He just jumped right in, but he quickly realized that he didn't know how to swim. I think I see swim lessons in his future.


The breakfasts here are amazing. It's a huge breakfast buffet in the hotel with everything from eggs and bacon to a variety of cereals. I hope Xian Hua doesn't think this is what breakfast at our house looks like. Despite it being nice that I don't have to do dishes or laundry right now, I would gladly give all this up to fly home today. We are all looking forward to coming home on Wednesday!



No comments: